Table of Contents
Email marketing has progressed at incredible speed during the last two decades. The majority of official contact and promotional information is now sent through email. As a consequence, it is one of the most crucial marketing strategies for any type of company.
What exactly is email marketing?
Email marketing is the process of sending business emails to a specific list of contacts who have opted in to receive emails from you. You can use email marketing to send emails containing special offers, welcome emails, vacation emails, etc. to engage with your target audience.
Previously, email marketing was used only to send information. But now it has become a mode of communication between the company and its customers.
Email marketing’s significance for all businesses
Email marketing is progressing rapidly, as is the number of email users. In fact, the number of email users is expected to reach 4.6 billion by the year 2025.
Therefore, if you want to reach the right audience, implementing email marketing in your business is crucial.
If you are wondering if there is still room for email marketing or not, then the image below should clear up your concerns.
As the graph reflects, email continues to generate higher revenues and is expected to double in the coming years. Therefore, when it comes to marketing, email has higher open and click rates compared to social media.
A carefully implemented email marketing strategy will not only help increase your engagement rate, but it will also help you achieve higher revenue.
Email Marketing Facts
To help you understand the importance of email marketing, we have listed some interesting facts and statistics about email marketing.
- 59% of customers make their purchase decisions based on advertising and marketing emails.
- 64% of B2B respondents have mentioned that they use email automation.
- Marketers running segmented email marketing campaigns have seen a 760% increase in revenue.
- Email is 40 times more effective when it comes to conversions, compared to other social media platforms.
Email marketing’s benefits for your business
One of the most efficient marketing platforms is email. It may assist you not only create more traffic and leads but also enhance your conversion rate.
The following are the main advantages of email marketing for every business:
1. Reach the right audience at the right time
With email marketing, you can connect with users who have shown an interest in your product or service. With the right data and knowledge of your customers’ preferences, you can create and send emails that connect with them.
Additionally, you can also perform A/B tests and send different variations to your email subscribers to find out which email works best. You can write and send emails that connect with your consumers if you have the correct data and understanding of their interests.
2. Generate higher income
If you thought email marketing was all about promotional offers, you might want to check out this stat:
Emails are 40% better at converting compared to social media platforms.
Yes, by creating engaging and relevant email marketing campaigns, you can generate revenue and improve your conversion rate. For example, by simply sending automated welcome emails and strategically placing CTAs, you can entice your email subscribers to go ahead and make a purchase.
3. Make your marketing process more automated.
With email marketing, you can automate your entire marketing process: from capturing leads to engaging with them.
Your automation can be executed based on certain triggers and conditions that are met when a user performs an action. This, as a result, helps you create a personalized experience for each of your visitors and customers.
In reality, trigger-based email marketing campaigns may create 18x and 4x more revenue, respectively.
4. It is profitable.
When it comes to marketing, emails are by far one of the most profitable marketing communication channels. Creating an email campaign and running it requires much less time and money compared to other marketing campaigns on the market.
Therefore, it is not only cost-effective, but also brings great results in terms of customer engagement and conversions.
5. Establish a strong brand identity
If your primary goal is to build a strong brand across several platforms, email is an excellent place to start.
With personalized content, relatable offers, and engaging calls-to-action, you can create compelling emails that grab the attention of every reader. In the end, your main goal should be to make your customers feel valued.
6. Measure multiple metrics
One of the main benefits of implementing email marketing is that you can gain insight into various email performance metrics. Based on the data and information, you will be able to make better decisions for your next marketing campaigns.
For example, if your emails have a very high open rate but there are fewer clicks on your CTA button, then you should work on making it more eye-catching and better placed in the body of the email.
7. Take command of your email marketing campaigns.
When we talk about an email marketing strategy, it implies that you have full control over every step of the process, unlike traditional marketing.
From your email list and content to the distribution process, you are the one who controls the entire campaign, so you can expect better results.
8. Customers should be nurtured
Email marketing is not just about attracting new prospects; it’s also about nurturing customers you already have or haven’t communicated with in a while.
To attract your email subscribers’ attention and keep them informed, you might send emails regarding product offers, new releases, promotions, or discounts.
By now, I guess you must be contemplating implementing email marketing in your business. So how do you run that? Well, the next part will show you how you can build a solid email marketing strategy for your business.
Develop an effective email marketing strategy.
For your email marketing campaign to be successful, you need to create a solid strategy. To help you achieve your goals, I have selected a list of 11 effective Email marketing strategies that will help you improve the performance of your campaigns.
- Establish who you want to reach: Clearly define your target audience’s preferences and likes before sending an email.
- Create a list of your prospects: You cannot send the same email to all your subscribers. You need to create a list to send targeted email campaigns.
- Define your objectives: Before launching any campaign, you must first determine your objectives well and figure out exactly what you want in each campaign.
- Segment your email subscribers: Once you’ve created a list, you need to segment your subscribers based on demographics, interests, behavior, etc.
- Identify the types of email to send: Once you know your audience, you need to find out what type of content they want to consume and plan your email marketing strategy accordingly.
- Personalize email content: Personalization not only helps drive more engagement, it can also have a positive impact on ROI.
- Customize email for portable devices: As most of us access our emails from our phones, it is critical to optimize your content and design for portable devices as well.
- Automate your email marketing campaigns: If you want to connect with your audience at the right time, you must implement email automation in your marketing strategy.
- A/B test your email campaigns: The same email will not work for all clients. Therefore, you should create different versions of your email and send them to your audience to find out which one works best.
- Improve email deliverability: To make sure your email doesn’t land in your recipient’s spam folder, you need to take certain steps and improve email deliverability.
- Measure performance: Lastly, you need to measure the performance of each email marketing campaign and monitor certain email marketing KPIs.
You must now ensure that your email marketing campaign is properly optimized. For that, I am going to give you some tips and best practices for email marketing!
Email marketing tips and best practices
These ideas should be used right away if you want to establish efficient email marketing campaigns.
1. Use CTAs that are appropriate (calls to action)
The ultimate goal of every marketing email is to get your user to take the required action: sign up, make a purchase, upsell, cross-sell, etc.
Did you know that personalized calls to action perform 202% better than a basic call to action?
Yes, having a clear and personalized CTA in the body of your email can guide email subscribers to take action and help you achieve your goals.
2. Have a sharp subject
The subject line is the most crucial aspect of your email as it is what drives your email subscribers to open the email.
You should create an engaging subject line that grabs attention and conveys the clear intent of your email. Also, you should refrain from using certain keywords in your email subject lines to avoid being sent to the spam folder.
3. Personalize your emails
Users are more likely to respond to your email if it is addressed directly to them.
If you got an email that said, “Jennifer, we’ve put together a list of the greatest gadgets for you!”
As this email has your name and you’ve given a list of things you’re interested in based on your search history, you’re more likely to open it. Therefore, as a result, instead of sending generic emails, customize them.
4. Avoid using “do not reply” in the sender’s email address
You have probably received the typical emails where the email address starts with “no reply”. Now, this is a term that not only seems sketchy but can also be considered spam.
Instead of this, you can choose to indicate the email that identifies you and/or your company, as it will help you generate credibility with your client.
5. Carefully double your emails.
Constantly send a test email to your subscribers before sending a live email to see how it looks on different displays.
You should check for errors, correct image and CTA placements, your selected email list, and the general content of your email before sending it to subscribers.
Factors to consider before selecting an email marketing software
You’ve made the decision to get email marketing software. Now what?
Well, you will find a plethora of options when it comes to email marketing services. So before making any decision, you need to consider certain factors and then choose the right email marketing software for your business.
1. Key features
Each email marketing tool comes with a certain set of features, and depending on your business needs, you can figure out how many features you need. Also, if you want to create a flawless first email marketing campaign, here are the essential features you’ll need in your email marketing software.
- Targeting: Creating different segments or using labels for email subscribers with various interests and preferences. Based on the segmented list, you can create and send targeted emails.
- Email Limit: Many email marketing programs contain a limit on the number of contacts or emails you can send per month. So based on your email list, you can check whether it fits your requirements or not.
- A/B Split Testing: A/B testing your email campaigns is crucial, which is why this is a crucial feature for any email marketing software.
- Automated Replies: This feature allows you to set up automated email sequences that are triggered based on any specific event.
- Templates: Creating an email from scratch can be time-consuming. Therefore, you can look for an email marketing service that provides pre-built email templates for different events.
- Reporting: You should check the reporting feature as that will help you check email open rate, click rate, email bounce rate etc.
These are the essential features your email marketing software should provide! So make sure you get a proper demo before making your decision.
2. Ease of use
Ease of use is very important every time we introduce new software to the company. A complex email marketing tool and all your efforts will be in vain!
Not all team members will have experience with such advanced technology, as email marketing is becoming more and more comprehensive. In this situation, you need to find an email marketing software that contains a simple yet useful user interface so that your marketing team can access it smoothly.
3. Cost and add-ons
Each company has a dedicated budget for each task. Therefore, it becomes crucial to find an email marketing tool that not only contains all the required features but is also cost-effective.
The cost of email marketing software can vary based on many factors, including email list size, monthly email volume, technology, email templates, email marketing automation, customer support, and any hidden costs.
When it comes to sending emails, there are different platforms that you can use. Therefore, it is essential to look for integrations so that you can run your email campaigns without a hitch.
Whether you’re integrating your Gmail inbox or using a tool to send mass emails, you should check out the list of integrations your email marketing software offers.
Based on these factors, you can decide whether the email marketing software you want to get is the right one or not. Many times, we go ahead and select the software that is loaded with complex features, assuming that it will help us run the campaigns. However, that is not always the case.
You should pay attention to the ease of use of the email marketing tool and check if it provides essential features. Lastly, always look at the cost of your email marketing software and find out if there are any hidden costs that you will incur in the future.
List of the best email marketing tools and software for 2022
To make your decision process easier, we’ve put together a list of the best email marketing software for 2022! These are the highest-performing email marketing tools in the industry and have been recommended by users all over the world.
1. Sales partner
2. GREAT contacts
4. Conversion kit
6. Mail Lite
7. Pardot from Salesforce
8. A. Weber
9. Active campaign
10. Get response
Email regulations you must follow
Email marketing is a process that requires the consent of subscribers to receive your marketing emails. Therefore, there are certain email regulations that you must adhere to in order to use your users’ contact information to send emails.
1. GDPR Compliance
GDPR compliance is an email regulation that allows people to choose whether or not they would like to receive email from you. This is applicable to companies operating in the European Union and companies targeting EU citizens.
This is how you can comply with the GDPR law:
- Collect data that is relevant to your business.
- Ask for consent to access personal information in clear language.
- Store data securely and use it only where agreed.
- Delete data when prompted.
- Make sure you have the records to show that you are complying with the GDPR laws.
2. CAN-SPAM Compliance
The CAN-SPAM Act was enacted to prevent fraudulent email activities linked to email advertising, such as the use of fictitious email identities or the use of misleading subject lines. The CAN-SPAM Act was passed in 2003 and applies to any commercial email used for commercial purposes.
This is how you can comply with the CAN-SPAM law:
- Include a clear unsubscribe link in every email.
- Add your business name and address.
- Create subject lines that reflect the content of the email.
3. Avoid spam filters
If you want to reach the right audience, you need to keep your emails out of the spam folder. This can result in poor deliverability, an impact on your brand, inaccurate reporting, and an inability to reach your email subscribers.
This is how you can avoid being labeled as spam:
- Use a reliable email service provider as it can affect your email deliverability rate.
- To get whitelisted, have your new email subscribers add your email to their address book to build credibility.
- Don’t use too many exclamation marks or spam words, as ESPs (Email Service Providers) can identify them and mark them as spam.
- Double opt-in by sending them a confirmation email once they’ve subscribed. This helps you find genuinely engaged email subscribers who will engage with your brand in the future.
Email marketing is a process where you can only reap the benefits if you have been patient and consistent in your email marketing efforts.
You can create and run your email marketing campaigns based on current market trends so that each email resonates with your reader. This guide on email marketing is for all marketers to run their email campaigns effectively and get the desired results.
I hope you have found this comprehensive article useful. So get started now by planning your next email marketing strategy!
Vivek is Digital Marketer as well as an SEO Strategist by choice. His aim is to help people to expand and grow their businesses through digital media and marketing. He helps midsize to enterprise-level companies & marketing agencies generate more traffic, leads, and sales with compelling, SEO – friendly content.